When I was a child in France, stuffed tomatoes was one of our summer family dishes ( now tomatoes are found all year round). We use to love it, so tasty and juicy. Today my children also enjoy it and eat it with appetite and pleasure. Recommended for family meals.
500 gr minced beef
12 small tomatoes
1/4 loaf of bread or left over bread
20cl of water (or milk)
1 bunch of parsley
1 tsp of sugar
3 handful of rice
3-4 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven 180 degres C
- Set aside the inside of the bread and cover it with the water (or milk) for it to soften
- Cut the "hat" off the tomatoes and scoop out the flesh. Put the flesh in a small casserole.
- Add a pinch of salt in every emptied tomato, turn them upside down on a oven tray for the excess water to come out
- With the the tomato flesh, prepare a sauce. Add the bay leaf, sugar,full garlic cloves, salt and pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and the parsley.
- Mix the meat, egg, minced onion and parsley together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill up the tomatoes and cover them with their "hat" . Place in an over dish and fill up the bottom of the dish with the rice. Coat with olive oil and a cup of water and salt.
- Cook in the oven for 1h30.
- When ready, let the tomatoes rest for 10 minutes and serve with it's sauce.